Saturday, May 30, 2009

Colors of the Rainbow

"Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand ways" ~ Oscar Wilde

When I was small, my Mom used to tell us "don't point at the rainbow or your finger will be cut-off". When you're 5, you believe what your Mama says. In your eyes, she is a genius and she knows everything.

Half of me said don't try it so you don't lose your finger forever and the other half said to just do it and find out once and for all. But I could only stare at it because I didn't have the guts to try it. When I got older, I realized it was just my Mom's way of telling us to sit tight at the back of the jeep (the family car) and stop mucking around.

It's funny how I also told my kids about this "don't-point-your-finger-at-the rainbow" thing too. Although they never believed me, I could see from their eyes that they were thinking. Now that they are older, we reminisce and laughed at the idea. They said that it was so odd but it did give them something to think about.

After the rain today, I looked at the sky to see if there was a rainbow. When I think of rainbows, I think of beautiful, bright and vibrant colors. I have a strong attachment to colors and my work is a reflection of this. You may have noticed that most of my bags, if not all, are so colorful. It's because I like to put colors in everything. I especially like vivid colors not just neutrals or solids. I also like to combine colors even up to the extent of breaking the rules.

Colors can have different meanings but some color effects have universal meaning. The colors in the red area of the color spectrum are known as warm colors and they include red, orange, and yellow. These warm colors evoke emotions ranging from feelings of warmth and comfort to feelings of anger and hostility.


On the other hand, colors on the blue side of the spectrum are known as cool colors and include blue, purple, and green. These colors are often described as calm, but can also call to mind feelings of sadness or indifference.

For me, I like to think that all colors give life and just like the rainbow, it also gives a feeling of peace!

No comments: