Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Little About Me

I have been neglecting my blog for quite some time so I promised myself to write posts more often. And what better time than to do it on the first day of May. Today I've decided to write a little something about myself for the sake of those who've just joined my facebook page or followed my blog. 

50s Inspired Hobo Bags, 2011

My name is Monique and I'm the one-woman-show behind Kikay Designs. I started making bags (by accident!) 5 years ago. I have no formal training in design and have never had A lesson in sewing bags. So, I'm basically self taught. Most of my designs are random and inspiration comes from just about anywhere. I love colours and you may have noticed that I've got so much variety of styles and designs. It's because I get bored making the same bag over and over again. 

 Kikay in acrylic, 2004 
I love to paint using both oil and acrylic but I have not done this in a very long time. I hope to go back to painting one day. 

 Mexican Pot in Oil, 2003

When I get the time I play around with my camera just because I'm a "wannabe photographer" :) 

Vivid Sydney, 2010

Magic Hour, 2009

When I'm not sewing, taking photos or painting,  I tend to my succulents. I just love these plants. So crisp and colourful!



Last year, I was so surprised when the editor of Australian Homespun asked me to create an exclusive bag project for the magazine.So if you want to try out making your own bag, check out the my project in the February 2012 issue of the magazine.

Bowlicious Bag Project, 2012


Well, I guess that's all for now. Hope I didn't bore you!




No comments: