Saturday, May 23, 2009

Walking 10,000 Steps a Day

Did you know that walking at least 10,000 steps a day will help you keep fit and healthy? If you count your steps from the time you get out of bed until you crawl into bed at night, you'll be surprised to find out that you're not even close to 10,000 steps.

There are ways you can achieve 10,000 steps a day. You just have to get up and keep moving and just build it slowly. Like for instance, don't park your car close to the main entrance but instead find a spot at the far end so you get the chance to walk. Take the stairs instead of the escalators or lifts. When I'm at home, I sometimes deliberately go up the bathroom upstairs instead of the one downstairs. Or if I'm at work, I don't go to the nearest toilet but instead walk around to the toilet on the other side. It keeps me moving at the same time keeps me awake! Also, during my lunch break, I go for a walk around Westfield Shopping Centre. Its a great way to window shop.

I'm not a fitness expert, but if you think about it, you'll find your own ways of achieving 10,000 steps in a day.


Before I go, I'd like to share this interesting article I read from fitsugar.com:

Walking to Stay Trim? Aim For 100 Steps Per Minute.
If you're walking to lose weight, a recent study says you need to walk at a quick pace of at least 100 steps per minute in order for it to be considered moderate intensity. A pedometer is a great tool to use when you're strolling along, since it tells you how many steps you've taken. You can also check it to make sure you're taking enough steps within a certain number of time in order to get your heart rate up. So in a 30-minute workout, you should take at least 3,000 steps. If this rate is too fast at first, start off doing 1,000 steps in 10 minutes before you build up to 30 minutes.

No comments: